By: Renee Grant
As the winter air turns a bit more crisp, and we wait patiently for spring to return, there’s a sweet little holiday nestled in between… Valentine’s Day! A day to show all the loved ones in your life how much they mean to you and to celebrate the special relationships you share.
From couples with decades of love between them, to those just getting to know each other, Valentine’s Day makes for the perfect time to be creative with romance. How many boxes of chocolate and bouquets of flowers can you buy? In the spirit of keeping the festivities fresh, here are six fun ways to sweeten up your sweetheart’s day!
- Take a Foodie Tour: Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to indulge in great food and drinks, the way to everyone’s heart is through their stomach after all! Instead of the usual steak or seafood dinner, make a list of restaurants that you’d like to visit with your new love and dishes you’d like to share. It helps if all the restaurants are within walking distance, and to have fun stops to make along the way like shops, museums or other local attractions. Taking a stroll, talking, and sharing some great eats, is a perfect way to spend the day with your love. If you’re in Philly, Old City is the perfect place to start.
- Make Your Home the Perfect Spa Getaway: Start off with a workout together, try yoga or a jog around the neighborhood. Work up a sweat, get the endorphins going and then set the mood by turning your abode into a peaceful paradise. After a vigorous workout, have a list of tantalizing treatments like a bath with sweet scents, a massage with your favorite warm oils, and a bottle of champagne paired with soft music and fruit to finish the day. There are some great parks to take a jog through, find a spot in Fairmount Park and get going!
- Make Fun Projects With the Kids: You can’t leave out the littlest Valentine’s, they deserve some sweets and fun treats too! Head to the dollar store for some t-shirts, hats, poster boards, markers… basically raid the arts and crafts aisle. Also grab some small boxes or containers and bags of the kids’ favorite treats. Head home, spread out some newspaper, and tell them the theme is “love.” Tell them to draw hearts, and all the things they love on the clothing items and containers, to make cards from the poster boards, and to fill the containers with treats. Let their smiles be their gift to you.
- Have a Love Movie Marathon: Who doesn’t love a good movie marathon? And there are so many choices for on demand viewing that you won’t have a shortage of films to watch. Pop some popcorn, get some movie-sized boxes of candy, pour a glass of wine and get comfortable. Make a list of romantic films (or horror flicks if you’re having anti-Valentine’s Day) and queue them up for a mushy matinée. Bonus points if you can find a way to make a drinking game of it.
- Have a Night Filled with Class: Find a local cooking class and learn to make an amazing meal together to begin the evening, and then head to a mixology class for couples where you’ll learn to make some cool cocktails together. End the night with a “paint party,” usually called painting with a twist, where you recreate a painting while having some drinks and laughs with your date. Learning something new together is a great way to get to know the one who makes your heart skip a beat.
- Take a Road Trip to Nowhere Special: There’s something to be said for planning a trip with no particular destination in mind, the adventure is the real fun! Grab a map and decide on a general direction, fill the tank with gas and hit the road. Be sure to stop at all the local attractions along the route, taking pictures to document the trip. Ask those in the nearby area to suggest restaurants and attractions and find something new you may have never known existed. Creating new memories in exciting new places… what could be a better way to spend quality time with the one who has your heart?
What are your favorite ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day?